It All Started with Umbrella Handles
Harry M. Musser was a successful manufacturer of umbrella handles who called Lancaster City home in the early 20th century. Upon his passing in April of 1928, his executors were directed to purchase land for the purpose of establishing a public park, and once the park was completed, donate the park to the City. This park became known as Musser Park after its founding benefactor.
In the 1950’s, a tavern was established across the street from Musser Park, at the corner of Chestnut and Shippen streets. Over the years it was known as the Chestnut Café, The In and Out Bar, Peg’s Place, and Molly’s Pub. Unfortunately, over the years, the tavern fell into disrepair and disrepute – no longer welcoming neighbors for great food, cold drinks and good vibes.
Today, two of Lancaster’s favorite bartenders are pleased to have brought the old tavern at the corner of Chestnut and Shippen back to life. Now christened The Corner at Musser, it’s a thriving and lively establishment, a good neighbor to Musser Park and the surrounding area, and an asset to the city.
Currently the bar, restaurant and carryout storefront have been revitalized. In the coming months we’ll be adding a first-floor patio, second-floor lounge and renovated roof deck.
If you’re curious to see what we’ve been up to, come on over and say Hello! Grab a seat at the bar, and let’s get to know each other. Harry would be happy to know The Corner is keeping things lively across the street from his namesake park, and contributing to the happiness and vitality of his beloved city.